Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mean Nurses

Prior to taking this hospital trip, my husband poured out the vodka into the sink.  The feeling it evoked from me was disgusting.  I was sad, maybe even crying.  I wanted one more. To know it was the last. Somewhere at sometime I read that alcoholics should know when they take their last drink. As if it makes it easier to say a final goodbye.  I can't tell you how many times I used that as an excuse to have a drink. 

On the drive to the ER, I feel frozen. I know I am doing the right thing. I am nervous. I am scared. I am embarrassed. I am consumed with guilt.  I actually HATE drinking.  For the first time in my life. I really, truly view alcohol as a poison.  I am still very drunk. But this is a true "sobering" experience.  I am scared to check myself in and be judged. By doctors, nurses, other people in the ER. But I am doing the right thing. And they will be nice.

Some are. At first, anyways.  The main ER check in people are fine. They ask me if I want to detox and I say yes.  I am not sure what that means. But I want to. Brad and I are separated so he can do paperwork, and they shuffle me off to the detox wing.  I meet my temporary bed-mate. 

A beautiful 18ish year old girl detoxing from heroin. It has been 1 or 2 days since has had any. And. . . she knows all about detox, meds, withdrawals, etc.  Probably not her first time.  She gives me the lowdown, where they'll take me, what meds I will have. She hears my husband tell the nurse that I drank about a gallon of vodka in 2 or 3 days and she gasped. Sadly, I feel like I have street cred. A heroin addict gasped at my consumption. I belong here. Why I feel that way I don't know and it is kind of sick, but it is how I feel.

The nurses become more and more judgemental and rude as the minutes pass. They kick my husband out after his 10 minutes. They yell at me for using a cell phone and treat me like I am breaking the law when they catch me on it. 

I grow anxious when my husband leaves. I hate being alone in that room. I get a new roommate.  Another heroin addict, who is also a detox pro. She ran out of money for heroin. She wishes she got loaded before she checked herself in. She almost vomits in our little room. She begs for methadone. They don't give it to her. 

I agree to check into a detox center at a different hospital and stay there until I am fully detoxed.  I am scared and nervous.  I have second and third thoughts. But I am not waking up in my own bed tomorrow. It will not happen.  No way. No how.

2 comments:

  1. Crap on those rude nurses. They had no right to kick my husband out when his time was up. And it's MY cell phone, you cannot take it away from me, so THERE! Yell at me all you want!
    ---B I G G R I N !!!

    Hey, stick with it, some Peeps actually stop drinking and stay sober--if you can believe THAT--another grin!

    Thank you for loading me on your sidebar. I LOVE to be near a newbie, I thrive on helping others now. What else can a fellow age 77 do?

    PEACE, Stella.

    Please don't give up before the light shines in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to pour my Husbands vodka down the sink! It wasn't an act of violence towards my husband, but it was an act of desperation. I am looking through the glass, from the other side. I was raised by a codependent Mother, and a recovering father. I gave birth to two wonderful, artistic, children, who are both addicts.

    You are not alone. You know that! I wish you health and happiness. Whatever that may look like to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Top Blogs